As told to Chaya Sara Ben Shachar
The rabbis agreed that the time had come for our family to leave China. "lt is a clear case of sakanas nefashos."
- I called a travel agent on Friday morning. By Motza'ei Shabbos we were heading to the airport. Suddenly, I slapped my head. "Sara'le," I said. "With all of the rush and craziness I completely forgot to make Havdalah."
- "It's okay, Dovi. There's a Starbucks in the airport and Havdalah can also be made on coffee."
- I smiled.
- Fourteen members of my kehillah were milling about next to the shop entrance. "I'm making Havdalah out loud for you all," I said "Let's stand together." I opened my siddur, and lifted the cup of steaming coffee. "Hinei Kel yeshuasi.... Behold, Hashem is my salvation; Iwill trust, and not be afraid."
- The words seemed to take on new meaning against the backdrop of a virus that was claiming lives and changing the world at an alarming pace.
- The coronavirus has changed the face of reality for billions around the globe. Within the Jewish community, simchos have been celebrated with less than a minyan in attendance, people's livelihoods and lives have been altered in unfathomable ways, and levayahs have become far too frequent.
World in Lockdown explores the profound effects of a virus that has forced the world to examine and redefine its norms and priorities. In this book, twenty-four people share their stories of triumph and personal strength in the face of adversity. Written in a candid, engaging, and dramatic style, this book will leave readers identifying with the interviewees, laughing and crying with them, and reveling in their successes. Indeed, it is a book that will also leave readers celebrating their own successes in the face of one of recent history's most trying times.
- Chaya Sara Ben Shachar is the author of over ten popular YA novels and two non-fiction books.
Chaya Sarah Ben Shachar
6.3" x 9.3"
Israel Bookshop Publications
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.